Earlier this month, President Joe Biden was adamant that his administration would successfully evacuate all Americans from Afghanistan before a self-imposed Aug. 31 deadline to withdraw all U.S. troops from the nation. But even he’s now losing hope of accomplishing that goal.
According to Breitbart, Biden effectively admitted at a press conference Thursday that he expects U.S. citizens to still be in Afghanistan after America’s military pulls out of the nation.
At that point, he said, the U.S. government would work “to find means” of evacuation for those citizens. “We will continue, after our troops are withdrawn, to find means by which we find any American who wishes to get out of Afghanistan,” Biden said Thursday, according to Breitbart.
Biden refuses to extend deadline
Biden also claimed at the Thursday presser that the U.S. military would strive “to get as many people out as we can within the time frame that’s allotted,” thus ruling out any extension of the Aug. 31 deadline.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki offered a similar message, according to Breitbart, saying, “There are some Americans who may not have decided to leave by the 31st. That is possible.”
Psaki also said the White House would “need to continue to coordinate with the Taliban in order to get people to the airport and out of the airport.”
Violence kicks up in Kabul
The press secretary had less to say about Americans who wish to leave Afghanistan but remain unable to reach the airport due to the threat of violence from the Taliban and other groups.
Both she and President Biden made their comments in the wake of a bombing at the airport in Afghanistan’s capital of Kabul that left 13 U.S. military personnel dead, along with more than 160 Afghan civilians, according to reports.
Meanwhile, more than 1,000 Americans are said to still be in Afghanistan waiting for evacuation, in addition to an unknown number of Afghans — some reports have suggested as many as 250,000 — who have provided aid to U.S. troops over the years, putting them at risk of retaliation from the Taliban.
“I’m trying to get her out”
On Friday, Fox News spoke with an Afghan man who said he had spent a decade working as an interpreter for the United States and now believes he will be murdered at the hands of the Taliban.
“If I get a chance to go back to the airport, yes, I will try,” the man, who was identified as “Carl,” said in an interview with America’s Newsroom.
“It doesn’t matter if I’m going to get blown up,” he added, according to Fox. “I’m doing all this because I have a 5-year-old daughter that I’m trying to get her out of here so she can have a great future. And I don’t want her to suffer.”