Biden caught wildly exaggerating size of his 2004 house fire

In yet another bizarre moment, President Joe Biden recently asserted that two firefighters nearly died during a 2004 blaze at his Delaware home. 

According to the Washington Examiner, Biden made the claim on Tuesday as he addressed a White House “Summit on Fire Prevention and Control.”

Biden: “We almost lost a couple firefighters”

“I was doing Meet the Press, and lightning struck a little pond behind my house,” Biden told the conference Tuesday. “It came up through the ground into an air conditioning system.”

“From the basement to the third floor, the attic, everything was ruined,” he continued. “We almost lost a couple firefighters, they tell me, because the kitchen floor was burning between beams, and then the house, in addition, almost collapsed into the basement.”

This is not the first time that Biden has spoken of the fire, as the New York Post reported that the president referenced it last year while speaking in front of a New Hampshire bridge last year to promote his infrastructure package.

“What happens if the bridge collapses and there’s a fire on the other side?” Biden asked. “It’s going to take 10 miles longer to get to the fire. People can die. I mean, this is real. This is real stuff.”

“And I know, having had a house burn down with my wife in it — she got out safely, God willing — that having a significant portion of it burn, I can tell: 10 minutes makes a hell of a difference,” he stressed.

Fire department official said fire was put out “pretty early”

What’s more, Politico reported in 2013 that Biden told attendees at a Washington dinner for first responders that the fire nearly destroyed his 1967 Corvette.

“And in addition to my wife, you got my second-best love out of the house: my ‘67 Corvette,” he said. “So thank you all. So I owe you. When I say I owe you, I mean I owe you.”

However, those accounts conflict with a 2004 Associated Press report which described the fire as being “small” and “contained to the kitchen.”

Cranston Heights Fire Company Chief George Lamborn was quoted as saying, “Luckily, we got it pretty early. The fire was under control in 20 minutes.”