Report: Biden, other admin officials were warned about potential collapse of Afghan government

President Joe Biden recently insisted that there was little his administration could have done to prevent the disaster currently unfolding in Afghanistan.

But according to the Washington Examiner, a State Department memo issued last month had warned U.S. officials that full-scale collapse was a real possibility in Kabul.

Biden made his outlandish claim of innocence during an interview this week with ABC News host George Stephanopoulos. “The idea that somehow, there’s a way to have gotten out without chaos ensuing, I don’t know how that happens. I don’t know how that happened,” the president said, according to a transcript.

The president also said at a press conference on Wednesday, “There was nothing that I or anyone else saw that indicated a collapse of this army and this government in 11 days.”

General claims to have been blindsided

Gen. Mark Milley serves as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and he too claimed that the government had been blindsided by what transpired.

“There was nothing that I or anyone else saw that indicated a collapse of this army and this government in 11 days,” Milley told reporters on Wednesday, according to Fox News.

However, the Examiner pointed to a Thursday report put out by the Wall Street Journal that claimed sources in Washington had said a cable was sent July 13 stressing the need to begin evacuation efforts no later than Aug. 1, given how unstable Afghanistan had become.

Report: They were warned

State Department spokesman Ned Price told the Examiner that Secretary of State Anthony Blinken had been made aware of the memo. Price claimed that the secretary of State “reads every dissent and reviews and clears on every reply.”

“He’s made clear that he welcomes and encourages use of the dissent channel, and is committed to its revitalization,” Price added, according to the Examiner. “Just as importantly, we incorporate the channel’s constructive and thoughtful ideas into our policy and planning.”

For his part, former President Donald Trump has been highly critical of how his successor has handled the situation in Afghanistan.

In a statement cited by the Examiner, Trump declared: “First you bring out all of the American citizens. Then you bring out ALL equipment.

“Then you bomb the bases into smithereens — AND THEN YOU BRING OUT THE MILITARY. You don’t do it in reverse order like Biden and our woke Generals did,” Trump added. Only time will tell if Biden can come back from this.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts