Cleveland mayor’s grandson fatally shot, investigation continues

Frank Q. Jackson, Cleveland, OH mayor Frank Jackson’s grandson, was fatally shot on September 19, says Cleveland Police Department.

The Cleveland Division of the Police Homicide unit announced an ongoing investigation into the 24-year-old’s death. Police state that Jackson’s murder occurred on September 19, at approximately 9 pm local time. Jackson was shot on location at Sidaway & E. 70th St.

“Anyone with information regarding this matter is asked to call 216-623-5464,” tweeted Cleveland Police. 

Fox 8 I local news reported that a female source stated to officials that Jackson had asked her to drop him near Sidaway & E. 70th St. on the night of his murder. 

Moments after Jackson exited the vehicle, he was shot. The suspect fled the scene.

Recent updates to Cleveland Police’s social media and sites do not show developments on arrests at the time of this report.

Sources following up with CBS News state that Jackson was shot “multiple times” by the unknown assailant. CBS stated that Mayor Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin Williams visited the scene for several hours, as a sizable police presence was investigated. Mayor Jackson was reported as “pacing back and forth,” as well as “visibly distraught,” by local news crews as he attended the scene.

At the time of the report, it was not reported if anyone had been arrested in connection with Jackson’s death. An investigation was ongoing.

Jackson reportedly lived a high-risk lifestyle. He faced felony charges including felony assault and failure to comply with police. Further reports listed a criminal record including illegal possession charges. He was additionally linked to a murder investigation in 2019, as the prime suspect in the killing of Antonio Parra in Cleveland’s Steelyard neighborhood.

Cleveland19 news followed up on the 2019 case on September 21. Arson charges were formally charged on the suspect who set fire to Frank Q. Jackson’s vehicle in 2019 after his vehicle was seen fleeing the scene of the 2019 murder case. Formal charges of arson were pressed on Thursday of this past week in the Cleveland Municipal Court. These charges were filed against James Greathouse, age 29, a local of Cleveland.

Police state that they found Greathouse DNA on a bucket hat near the scene of the fire in 2019. Greathouse is charged with setting Jackson’s Volkswagen Passat on fire just days after Antonio Parra’s murder.

News investigations state that, at the time of this report, the police had not directly linked Greathouse to Jackson’s death. They had still to confirm if the two knew each other.

The Cleveland City Council stated condolences to Mayor Jackson following his grandson’s death. Cleveland19 published the statement on September 20, as the investigation continued. The follow-up reports state that Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene.

Jackson’s shooting death follows nearly a month after a Democratic rally in Cleveland on gun violence. The gun violence rally was attended by Cleveland mayoral candidates and was reported on August 26 by ABC local. 

Murders such as that of Jackson continue to be sore talking points in political debate between Democrats of Ohio and Conservatives. Rallies for anti-gun violence and gun protests continue through activism groups such as Moms Demand Action on Gun Sense, which has recently endorsed 2021 candidates for Cleveland City Council Rebecca Maurer. 

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts