CNN correspondent says Mar-a-Lago search warrant leaked by Trump camp

Media outlets continue to buzz over the FBI raid of former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate earlier this month, and speculation has recently swirled around who may have leaked the government’s warrant to search the property to Breitbart and other outlets.

As Newsweek reports, Evan Perez of CNN declared on Friday that he believes the search warrant leak originated from Trump’s own office, a release which occurred even before a federal judge officially unsealed the documentation at the Justice Department’s request.

Perez postulates

In the CNN correspondent’s estimation, it can rightly be assumed that the warrant leak came from Trump’s camp by virtue of the fact that the names of FBI agents involved in the operation were not redacted from the version of the document published by Breitbart, but were blacked out in the formal version provided to the media later that day.

Perez’s comments came during a chat with fellow CNN personality Laura Coates, who was discussing threats that had reportedly been received by the FBI agents who took part in the search of Trump’s property.

“First of all, why do people know the names of those two agents?” Coates asked. “Because it was supposed to have been redacted.”

Perez replied, “It was redacted. It was redacted by the court when the document was released. However, before it was released by the court, before it was officially released someone – I think we know who – managed to get it to right-wing news organizations, and at least one of them published a document in total, including the names of those federal agents who were simply doing their job.”

“They went there to do their job, and then the former president’s social media platform pushed out that information, so now it’s everywhere among his supporters,” Perez added. “And of course predictably, those people are now having to be protected because there are threats against them.”

Leaks abound

The unredacted search warrant is not the only leak surrounding the FBI raid that has been the subject of much speculation, as many have wondered – aloud and in print – about whether someone within the president’s inner circle went to the government and gave a tip about allegedly improper handling of official documents.

As Newsweek reported separately, one of the former president’s most frequent and vocal critics – his niece Mary Trump – recently theorized that Jared Kushner, son-in-law to the ex-commander in chief, may have been the one initiating the shocking developments in Palm Beach.

During an appearance on The Dean Obeidallah Show last week, Mary Trump was queried about who she thought might have betrayed the former president, and though she noted that it was “tough to choose,” she seemed to think that Kushner was a strong prospect.

“I think we need to look very hard at why Jared got $2 billion. We need to look very hard at why he has been so quiet for so many months now,” Mary Trump said, apparently referring to a substantial investment Kushner snagged from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund after leaving D.C. in early 2021.

Regardless of his niece’s characteristically wild accusations or those of mainstream media mouthpieces pulling hard for Trump’s downfall, it is apparent that the former president has no plans to back down from the fight the Justice Department has picked with him, taking to his social media platform Sunday to demand the return of seized documents he claims are covered by attorney-client as well as executive privilege.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts