An ongoing investigation into former President Donald Trump and his business reportedly reached a new phase earlier this month with potential criminal implications in New York.
Now, Trump’s former personal attorney is predicting that indictments against Trump and those in his inner circle could be issued within the next few months.
“For the first time in his entire life”
The prediction from Michael Cohen came during a lengthy interview with Raw Story on Friday.
“I do truly believe that the wheels of justice turn slowly, but they are turning,” Cohen said. “I believe Trump, for the first time in his entire life, is going to be held responsible for his own dirty deeds.”
Beyond the former president, he predicted that “the tentacles of this investigation” will also reach “every one of the kids” as well as attorney Rudy Giuliani and others with close ties to Trump.
“I think there is a multitude of indictments that are going to be coming, and they are going to be coming relatively soon,” Cohen said. “And when I mean soon, I mean before summer.”
While he thinks “the beginning” will come in the near term, he expressed his belief that indictments will surface “within the next 30 to 60 days.”
“Instead of going after murderers”
His remarks came on the heels of a revelation by Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr., who has convened a special grand jury believed to be tasked with determining whether or not to issue criminal indictments against Trump or individuals involved in his family business.
The grand jury is expected to be seated for six months and hear other cases, but the mainstream media has been focused on speculation that prosecutors will present evidence about the Trump Organization’s business practices, such as real estate valuation, tax liabilities, and compensation.
It is worth noting that Cohen was himself convicted in 2018 for unrelated crimes and has reportedly been cooperating with Vance’s office in the probe against his former boss. NBC News noted that he met with prosecutors for the seventh time in March.
In response to the latest development, Trump issued a statement denouncing it as “a continuation of the greatest Witch Hunt in American history,” reiterating his denial of any wrongdoing.
“This is purely political, and an affront to the almost 75 million voters who supported me in the Presidential Election, and it’s being driven by highly partisan Democrat prosecutors,” he added. “New York City and State are suffering the highest crime rates in their history, and instead of going after murderers, drug dealers, human traffickers, and others, they come after Donald Trump.”