Defense Department reallocates funds Trump earmarked for border wall construction

Despite an ongoing surge of illegal immigration, it seems clear that President Joe Biden is sticking with his plan to deprioritize border security.

After coming into office with an order to halt further construction on the border wall, he announced another action this week designed to further stymie such efforts.

Canceled border projects

According to the Daily Caller, the Biden administration has chosen to reallocate roughly $2.2 billion in funding that had been earmarked for border wall construction under former President Donald Trump.

The details of the move were revealed in a Defense Department press release issued on Friday.

“As announced on April 30, 2021, the Department of Defense has canceled all border barrier construction projects paid for with funds originally appropriated for other military missions and functions,” it stated.

Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks reportedly devised a plan to make use of the billions in funds diverted from the military under the Trump administration.

Her reallocation plan includes restoring funding to “66 projects in 11 States, 3 territories, and 16 countries.”

“An unprecedented crisis”

The federal government is on the hook to pay costs associated with canceling contracts and more than half of the new spending is expected to be used for projects in foreign countries.

Biden’s policies have been blamed for exacerbating the border crisis. Such criticism dates back to at least the Democratic primary race, during which he advised during one debate: “We’re a nation that says, ‘You want to flee, and you’re fleeing oppression, you should come.'”

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is particularly disappointed in the Biden administration’s approach, announcing earlier this week that his state is prepared to begin constructing border barriers of its own.

“I will announce next week the plan for the state of Texas to begin building the border wall in the state of Texas,” he said. “While securing the border is the federal government’s responsibility, Texas will not sit idly by as this crisis grows.”

For his part, Abbott described the situation at the border as “an unprecedented crisis” to which his state “is responding with the most robust and comprehensive border plan the nation has ever seen.”

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts