Elton John cuts performance short, tearfully reveals diagnosis of walking pneumonia

Iconic British musician Elton John had to cut a concert in New Zealand short on Sunday after he became unable to continue singing. The singer-songwriter left the stage in tears after revealing that he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia, a respiratory illness, The Independent reported.

“I’m sorry, so very sorry,” John reportedly told those in attendance. “My voice is shot.”

Performance cut short

The singer was performing Sunday at the Mount Smart Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand as part of his lengthy Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour, which will be the final series of concerts performed by John.

At the beginning of the show, John informed the crowd that he had recently been diagnosed with the respiratory illness. Unfortunately, his symptoms prevented him from completing his scheduled set; the singer lost his voice partway through the performance.

In tears and visibly upset, John apologized to the fans who were in attendance and was helped off the stage by a member of his crew. Despite the concert being cut short, fans still showered John with applause as he left the stage.

John later apologized to his fans once more in an Instagram post, writing: “I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I’m disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight’s performance. I am eternally grateful.”

The show will go on

According to USA Todaythere was an indication earlier in John’s Sunday show that something was wrong; he appeared to slump over at his piano for a moment was briefly tended to by medical professionals on stage before continuing. He later lost his voice midway through a song.

John’s tour promoters, Chugg Entertainment, said in a statement to the media that the singer “was disappointed and deeply upset at having to end his Auckland concert early last night.”

The promoters went on to note that doctors believe John will recover just fine from the illness with a little bit of rest, and as such, announced that some of the performer’s upcoming performances in New Zealand will be delayed by a few days, though the tour will ultimately continue in the near future as originally planned.

John had previously revealed that this international tour, which was announced in 2018 and runs through 2021, would be his last, according to USA Today. The singer cited the physical strains of the travel and wanting to spend more time with his family in this decision; he will, however, continue to compose and record new music.

John reportedly has two more shows planned for New Zealand before moving on to a series of shows scheduled in Australia.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook