Fire breaks out in basement of Fox News Channel building: Reports

Earlier this month, a suspected arsonist struck the Fox News Channel headquarters in New York City, setting fire to a massive Christmas tree located just outside.

Local reports subsequently indicated that the cable news giant was impacted by another fire — this time inside of one of its buildings.

Second blaze erupts within a month

The latest blaze reportedly broke out in the basement of the company’s office building in midtown Manhattan, resulting in one individual sustaining unspecified injuries.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene late Sunday evening after receiving the report of a fire inside a trash compactor.

News coverage indicated that dozens of firefighters showed up alongside paramedics who rendered aid to the injured individual. An investigation was launched into the cause of the fire and that probe remained ongoing as of the latest updates available.

The incident came on the heels of the high-profile blaze that lit up a 50-foot tree that the network said was decorated with 10,000 glass ornaments and 100,000 lights.

Shortly after the fire broke out in front of the Fox News headquarters, police responded and took a suspect into custody after allegedly witnessing him fleeing the scene.

“Thinking about lighting the tree on fire all day long”

According to the New York Police Department, 49-year-old Craig Tamanaha had a previous criminal history including arrests for suspicion of drug possession and public intoxication.

As Fox News later reported, Tamanaha told police after his arrest that he had “been thinking about lighting the tree on fire all day long.”

As police reports indicate, authorities have since released the suspect without bail following his arraignment on one count each of felony second-degree criminal mischief, misdemeanor second-degree reckless endangerment, and misdemeanor fifth-degree arson.

If convicted of the charges against him, Tamanaha could face a prison sentence of between two and seven years behind bars. He was ordered to appear in court again on Jan. 4. For his part, the suspect reportedly maintained his innocence in remarks to reporters after he left the court following his arrest.

“I didn’t do it,” he proclaimed before asking reporters for a cigarette. “The moms that want to rape their f***ing daughters, they set it on fire.”

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts