In an unsettling development for the entire world, Fox News reported this weekend that a large explosion was heard in Iran, near the country’s main nuclear enrichment plant.
According to Fox News, “conflicting explanations” were provided by officials from the Islamic Republic of Iran regarding what exactly had transpired near the plant.
Officials claim missile test
Fars News Agency, an outlet with close ties to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), reported that a loud sound was heard following a flash of light on Saturday evening.
The incident is said to have occurred in the Badroud area, around a dozen miles from Iran’s Natanz nuclear enrichment facility.
A spokesperson for the Iranian army apparently “played down” the explosion during an appearance on state-run television, claiming it was simply the expected result of a routine missile test.
However, Fox News noted that Tasnim, another news agency connected to Iran’s security forces, claimed that air defense systems had been activated in response to a hostile drone encounter.
Meanwhile, a Twitter account belonging to Iran International English cited local sources as saying that the blast was powerful enough to damage nearby houses.
Was it sabotage?
Iran International English also quoted a member of Iran’s parliament as suggesting that “the enemy” may be attempting to influence negotiations that Iran is conducting in Vienna with the United States and other world powers.
Fox News reported last week that Iran is seeking to resurrect an agreement with regard to its nuclear program — a deal originally set up under former President Barack Obama but canceled by his successor, former President Donald Trump, in 2018.
Under the deal’s terms, Iran was given relief from crippling economic sanctions in return for a promise to halt its nuclear program for 15 years, among other technicalities.
Israel’s government has long been a vocal opponent of the nuclear agreement and is alleged to have targeted Iran’s nuclear infrastructure in a past sabotage attempt.
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said, according to Fox, his country “will maintain our freedom to act,” and remains “very disturbed” by the prospect of “insufficient restrictions in the nuclear sphere.”