Man charged with assault and battery after opening fire near gathered Trump supporters

A North Carolina man is facing charges for allegedly opening fire near a group of people who were supporting President Donald Trump.

However, as Washington Examiner correspondent Eddie Scarry noted in an article last week, it’s not something the mainstream media wants to highlight.

Inconvenient to the narrative

North Carolina resident Marquise Asomani, 23, is said to have driven past dozens of people waving Trump flags in Fort Mill, South Carolina on August 24 when he began shouting obscenities and firing a handgun, discharging a total of four shots. No one was hurt.

Video footage of the incident was recorded by a passenger in Asomani’s vehicle, although the material has not yet been publicly released.

According to the Rock Hill Herald, the alleged gunman has been charged with “first-degree assault and battery, pointing and presenting a gun” along with “illegal carrying of a firearm.” Prosecutors say the man intended to shoot the Trump supporters, while the defense argued that he did not intend to target them.

Scarry pointed out that although “the Washington Post did republish an Associated Press report after the initial incident,” CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times made no mention of it.

He asked readers to “imagine for a second” what the media response would be if the victims had been Black Lives Matter demonstrators rather than supporters of the president.

“I suspect CNN might have said something about it,” Scarry suggested. “The Washington Post might have even run a second Associated Press blurb.”

“But no,” he concluded, “violence against Trump supporters is never as interesting to the media. You might even say their lives matter a little less.”

More attacks on conservatives

Left-wing violence has grown more common in recent months, with Fox 6 Milwaukee reporting that a driver struck two people during a pro-Trump event on November 21 before fleeing the scene.

In late August, Trump supporter Aaron Danielson was shot dead in Portland, Oregon after he participated in a car caravan through the city.

The man said by authorities to be his killer, 48-year-old Michael Forest Reinoehl, was reported by the New York Post to have said on social media that he was “100% ANTIFA” and prepared for “war” while sporting a black power fist tattoo on his neck. Reinoehl was later killed as federal authorities attempted to arrest him.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts