L.A. prosecutor announces new rape charges against Harvey Weinstein

Disgraced former Hollywood producer and Democratic Party financier Harvey Weinstein is already serving time in prison for sexual assaults, but it looks like his sentence could soon grow even longer.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced on Friday that six new criminal charges, including three charges for rape, have been filed against Weinstein that stem from allegations put forward separately by two women.

The new charges, in addition to five prior charges filed by the L.A. prosecutor, bring the total to 11 sexual assault-related criminal indictments in California against the once-prominent movie mogul, Breitbart reported.

If convicted on all counts, he could face up to 140 years in prison, in addition to the sentence he is already serving.

New rape charges

In a press release on Friday, it was revealed that the criminal case against Weinstein had been amended to include “three felony counts each of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation.”

The already convicted rapist “now faces a total of four counts each of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery by restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force, involving five victims for crimes that span from 2004 to 2013.”

These new charges come from two different women, one of whom alleged that Weinstein raped her between 2004-2005 and another who alleged that she was raped twice by him between 2010-2011, with all three of those alleged incidents taking place at an unnamed Beverly Hills hotel in California.

“I am thankful to the first women who reported these crimes and whose courage have given strength to others to come forward,” L.A. District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in the statement. “The willingness of these latest victims to testify against a powerful man gives us the additional evidence we need to build a compelling criminal case.”

Weinstein maintains his innocence

USA Today reported that, as previously noted, Weinstein is already serving time in prison in Buffalo, New York, after he was convicted of third-degree rape and forcible sexual assault of two women in New York City and was sentenced in February to 23 years behind bars.

The L.A. prosecutor is currently attempting to extradite Weinstein to California to stand trial on the 11 other sexual assault charges he faces in that state, though the process has been delayed due to the coronavirus. An extradition hearing is scheduled for December 11.

For what it is worth, Weinstein continued to maintain his professed innocence in a statement released through his spokesperson in response to the new rape charges.

“Harvey Weinstein has always maintained that every one of his physical encounters throughout his entire life have been consensual,” spokesman Juda Engelmayer said in the statement. “That hasn’t changed. At this moment we cannot comment on the additional charges until we learn more about them.”

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook