‘Pelosi must go’: GOP lawmakers issue group statement calling for new House leadership

Republican opposition of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is nothing new on Capitol Hill, but a group of GOP congressmen recently upped the ante with a pointed op-ed aimed at the Democratic leader.

The group of five Republican lawmakers joined forces to criticize Pelosi on multiple fronts, ultimately concluding that she “must go” in favor of more productive House leadership, as they argued in the piece published on Thursday by The Hill.

“Exactly how Pelosi wants it”

In the op-ed, Reps. Andy Biggs (R-AZ), Andy Harris (R-MD), Jody Hice (R-GA), Paul Gosar (R-AZ), and Chip Roy (R-TX) provide several examples to support their claim that she “has consistently demonstrated both an inability and unwillingness to govern.”

For starters, the lawmakers chastised her for “jamming through” a House resolution allowing members to vote by proxy.

“Under the new rules of Pelosi, only 23 of the 435 members of the House need to be present for the chamber to conduct business,” the congressmen wrote. “Thanks to the Speaker, the House can now pass legislation with roughly 5 percent of the chamber present to vote. The other 95 percent of the House could be rendered powerless. Exactly how Pelosi wants it.”

Furthermore, the authors alleged that Pelosi “has routinely bypassed the committee process and blocked amendments for every bill,” which they argued has resulted in “effectively shutting down participation for rank-and-file members” in both parties.

All in all, the legislators wrote that Pelosi’s behavior “has consistently demonstrated both an inability and unwillingness to govern, and her complicit alliance with the extremists of the far left puts the future and well-being of the United States of America in peril.”

“Lack of true leadership”

They went on to mention her advocacy for impeachment hearings against President Donald Trump as a reason she should be replaced as speaker.

Since reclaiming the position last year, the House has experienced a “lack of true leadership” under Pelosi, the op-ed concluded.

The time has come, its authors determined, “for the House of Representatives to work for the American people again, but it cannot do that without new leadership.”

In a subsequent Fox News Channel interview, Roy expanded his critique to include the Democratic Party at large, which he said wants “to side with [Black Lives Matter], Antifa, and anarchy over our law enforcement.”

While convincing Pelosi to step down will doubtlessly take more than an op-ed, voters might very well take a look at her leadership and recognize that they have the power to replace her by voting her party out of power.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts