Prince Philip’s will to stay private for at least 90 years

The late Prince Philip’s will can remain a secret for at least 90 years, a judge has ruled.

A challenge to the ruling by the U.K.’s The Guardian was rejected under the note of “exceptional” circumstances.

The ruling

“The hearing was at a hugely sensitive time for the sovereign and her family, and those interests would not have been protected if there had been protracted hearings reported in the press rather than a single occasion on which full reasons for what had been decided were published,” the judges said.

“It is true that the law applies equally to the royal family, but that does not mean that the law produces the same outcomes in all situations,” the judges said. “These circumstances are, as we have said, exceptional.”

The background

Prince Philip died at the age of 99 last year on April 21.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” the palace said in a prior statement.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle,” it added.

The latest decision will unlikely please the media, but will keep the details of his will private for some time.

The ruling will ends more than a year of pushing for a change, but the family’s decision has won the battle for the royal family’ privacy.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts