There has been an ongoing effort to rally public support for a recall election against far-left progressive Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon over his decidedly soft-on-criminals approach to implementing various social justice reform policies that have resulted in surging crime rates in the county.
Recall campaign organizers announced this week that they had submitted approximately 717,000 petition signatures supporting the effort, likely well more than the minimum needed to place Gascon on a ballot for the county’s voters to decide his political fate, the Washington Examiner reported.
L.A. County officials will now have around four months to count the petition signatures and verify that at least 567,000, or roughly 10 percent of the county’s voters, are accurate and valid to set a date for the recall election.
More than enough signatures gathered
“Today we submitted to the LA County Registrar 717,000 signatures to recall DA George Gascon — 150,000 more than required to force an election. The Registrar has 30 days to ‘verify’ that we’ve crossed the 566,857 signature threshold. Thank you LA!” the recall campaign tweeted Wednesday.
This is actually the second attempt to recall DA Gascon, after an initial effort last year failed to reach the minimum threshold of signatures required to trigger a recall election.
Organizers were better prepared this time, though, and not only hired extra help to gather sufficient signatures but also, according to recall supporter Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, took the extra step of verifying signatures themselves against voter registration lists to preemptively discard any mistakes or duplicates that would be rejected by officials.
“I’m told that the numbers we submitted have beat every other [recall] record,” former Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine, a recall campaign leader, told the Examiner. “You can’t do this with volunteers alone. You have to pay people. We spent $60 million on this campaign. It’s a lot of money to get a guy out of office who is doing a terrible job. A lot of people are invested in this issue of public safety.”
“I don’t think there is any doubt that the people are going to vote overwhelmingly to oust Gascon just because of his lack of concern for victims of crime, murder, robbery, rape, or whatever,” he added. “He doesn’t believe that prosecutions are important. He has this philosophy that does not deal with reality.”
Gascon is dismissive of the recall effort
DA Gascon, quite predictably, has dismissed the recall campaign against him, downplayed the outcries of aggrieved victims of his policies, and asserted that it is a Republican-led effort, despite LA County being an overwhelmingly Democratic stronghold. He also sought to malign the use of paid signature gatherers as somehow being unethical.
“While it is true there are some victims out there and they are angry, the reality is that this is a Republican power grab and the way they’ve gotten the signatures is extremely questionable,” Gascon told Courthouse News in an interview.
Local Fox affiliate KTTV reported that the Recall Gascon campaign celebrated the apparent support it has received from voters as well as 37 separate cities within the county that have delivered “no confidence” votes on Gascon, and also took issue with how the embattled district attorney has mischaracterized and attacked the grassroots effort against him.
“The sheer magnitude of this effort, and time and investment required to get to this point, show how strong the public desire is to remove George Gascón from office,” the campaign said in a statement. “From day one, this recall has been led by the very victims who Gascón has abandoned, ignored, and dismissed. When the recall qualifies, he will not be able to ignore them any longer.”