According to one investigative journalist, Americans may be about to see some action in U.S. Attorney John Durham’s investigation of the investigators.
According to the Washington Examiner, Just The News editor in chief John Solomon said sources told him that activity within the Department of Justice (DOJ) indicates Durham could issue indictments within the next several months in his probe of the origins of the infamous Trump–Russia collusion investigation.
“My sources tell me there’s a lot of activity. I’m seeing, personally, activity behind the scenes of the Justice Department,” Solomon told Fox Business, according to the Examiner. “[Durham] is trying to bring those first indictments, and I would look for a time around Labor Day to see the first sort of action by the Justice Department.”
“Building a criminal case”
Prior to taking the top editor role at Just The News, Solomon made headlines of his own for being the investigative journalist behind The Hill’s articles on Ukraine that became part of the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump earlier this year, the Examiner noted. But that apparently hasn’t kept Washington insiders from dishing their secrets to him.
“I’m seeing a lot of activity consistent with building prosecutions and preparing for criminal plea bargains,” he told Fox Business on Tuesday, according to the Examiner.
“The first evidence of it in the public will probably be around Labor Day,” the journalist added. “That’s an awful long time to wait, but I do see activity that looks like they’re building a criminal case right now.”
“You never know”
Of course, Solomon has made promises like this before that fell short. This time around, he clarified that things could change before September.
“That doesn’t mean it’ll happen,” he said, as the Examiner reported. “Until someone signs and until they bring them before the grand jury. You never know if it’s going to happen.”
Solomon went on to say that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic is “slowing down” the grand jury process, which prosecutors have to go through to hand those indictments out.
“But everything I’m seeing on the ground, real reporting, suggests that there’s an ongoing criminal investigation intent on bringing indictments and possibly some plea bargains,” Solomon said, according to the Examiner.
Durham’s probe became a criminal investigation in October 2019, as Politico reported, but not much has been heard out of the U.S. attorney’s office since then.
If those responsible for what Trump has long called a “witch hunt” are held accountable, however, it will all have been worth the wait.