Top sports photographer Anthony Causi one of 10,000 New York coronavirus casualties

The New York Post has reported that long-time sports photographer Anthony Causi died Sunday of complications brought on by the coronavirus. He was 48 years old.

A number of sports teams reacted to news of Causi’s passing with sorrow as well as words of praise for the man who spent years covering them.

“Anthony Causi was a fixture at the Garden and one of the best photographers in the business,” a statement from the New York Knicks was quoted as saying.

The statement went on to characterize Causi as “a warm person with a great personality and will be missed. We send our deepest condolences to his family.”

“He was a New Yorker”

“He was a New Yorker,” said Yankees’ vice president of communications and media relations Jason Zillo. “Anthony was passionate, he grinded, he cared and was caring, and he wore his heart on his sleeve. And it was a huge heart. I don’t know how it fit on his sleeve.”

“People gravitated towards him,” Zillo continued, “but he had an edge to him and he never wanted to have the second best photo of the day. On behalf of our entire organization, we will miss him and offer our heartfelt condolences to his family.”

Meanwhile, a statement from the New York Rangers hockey team read, “Anthony was kind, thoughtful and one of the best at what he did. We are heartbroken to hear of his passing.” It added, “Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Romina, and their children, John and Mia. You will be missed, Anthony, by all of us.”

Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon extended his condolences to Causi’s family in a tweet that called him “a charismatic photographer” and “a friend to so many of us.”

Trump friend also among those lost

Causi is among the over 10,000 people who have died in New York state since the coronavirus pandemic began. Another was Stanley Chera, a real estate mogul and personal friend to President Trump.

Trump spoke to reporters about Chera’s death during his daily White House press briefing on Monday, noting that his friend had called him “a couple of weeks ago and said he had tested positive.”

“Stanley’s in his early to mid-eighties, I guess, and Stanley went to the hospital, and he never came out,” the president went on. “He went into a coma, he was unconscious for a long period of time, and he never made it.”

Trump noted that Chera thought his administration had done “such a good job” and he was very proud of what had been accomplished.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts