Suspicious person arrested outside Supreme Court after tactical team steps in

The U.S. Supreme Court has been at the center of recent news coverage regarding abortion rights and other important issues impacting the nation.

This week, however, police were involved in a chaotic scene that caused the court to make headlines for a different reason.

“Time for talking is done”

According to a press release published on Tuesday, U.S. Capitol police officers “arrested a man after he illegally parked in front of the Supreme Court and refused to leave.”

The vehicle was identified as a Chevrolet Tahoe that had was parked outside of the Supreme Court building at about 9:30 a.m.

A suspect inside the SUV was described by authorities as frustrated and uncooperative, stating at one point that the “time for talking is done.”

Officers cleared the area and attempted to negotiate with the suspect. When those efforts apparently failed, members of a tactical unit moved in at about 11 a.m.

The suspect, later identified as Dale Paul Melvin Kimball, Michigan, was taken into custody on charges of failing to obey and assaulting an officer. Melvin’s family reportedly signaled that he suffers from mental illness and had been living out of his vehicle for several years. Relatives also advised that he has been known to be violent.

“Made concerning remarks”

U.S. Capitol Police Deputy Chief Jason Bell later addressed the issue during a press conference, expressing his “appreciation for all of our officers” and stressing that “everybody did an outstanding job to keep our congressional campus safe today.”

The deputy chief explained that no vehicles were recovered from the vehicle. Media reports indicate a flash-bang device was used in the effort to remove Melvin from the vehicle.

Bell said the investigation remained ongoing and police were not immediately aware of any possible motive for Melvin’s alleged actions.

He went on to advise that Melvin “made concerning statements” in August while he was on U.S. Capitol grounds, though he did not elaborate.

Less than two months ago, a North Carolina man was arrested outside of the Library of Congress after reportedly claiming to have an explosive device. Floyd Ray Rosebery, 49, engaged police in a four-hour standoff on Aug. 19 that ended with his arrest.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts