Trump campaign briefly suspends or postpones all in-person events

President Donald Trump’s campaign is temporarily suspending or postponing all in-person events, Just the News reports.

The news comes after the president revealed late Thursday night that he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for COVID-19.

Trump campaign interrupted

Bill Stepien, the campaign manager of Trump 2020, announced the change on Friday.

“All previously announced campaign events involving the President’s participation are in the process of being moved to virtual events or are being temporarily postponed,” Stepien said. “In addition, previously announced events involving members of the First Family are also being temporarily postponed. All other campaign events will be considered on a case-by-case basis and we will make any relevant announcements in the days ahead.”

Stepien added that “Vice President Mike Pence, who has tested negative for Covid-19, plans on resuming his scheduled campaign events. Any further information about the President will come from the White House.”

It should be noted that Stepien himself has now tested positive for COVID-19, which adds another layer to this story. “Bill is working remotely, but absolutely remains in total control of the campaign,” an unnamed official told Fox News.

On Saturday, Stepien released more details about the campaign’s evolving plans, indicated that Pence and Trump family members will resume in-person campaign events “at full speed” following the debate next week:

Operation MAGA will fire up the entire MAGA universe to keep President Trump’s campaign at full speed until our Commander-in-Chief returns to the campaign trail. Vice President Mike Pence, the First Family, our coalitions, and our grassroots supporters will be out in full force to show the real enthusiasm behind the President’s re-election and to show we’re working as hard as he always does.

Biden campaign continues

In contrast to Trump 2020, Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s campaign has stated that it has no plans to scale back its campaign, The Hill reports.

“What is there to scale back?” said one insider. “We’re already pretty scaled back as it is. We’ve been following the guidelines, we’ve been wearing masks, we’ve been following science.”

“Everything revolves around the VP and his bubble and seeing if everyone is OK, including staff and Secret Service and then we’ll take it from there,” a “longtime ally” of Biden is quoted as saying.

The latest

President Trump is currently being cared for at the Walter Reed Military Medical Center, “out of an abundance of caution,” for symptoms that are being called mild. Thus far, the president is reported to be in good spirits and doing well. He plans on continuing his day-to-day duties.

That much is clear. What is unclear is how this will affect the final stages of his campaign. We’ll have to keep an eye on that, but, at the moment, it seems that Biden is trying to take advantage of what he clearly sees as an opportunity.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook