Trump claims to have had ‘standing order’ regarding declassification

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland told reporters at a press conference last Thursday that he personally approved the FBI’s raid on former President Donald Trump’s Florida, explaining that it was carried in search of classified documents.

Yet, in a statement this week, the former president claimed to have previously issued a standing order which rendered the issue moot. 

Automatically declassified?

According to the Washington Examiner, journalist John Solomon read out the statement last Friday evening during an appearance on Fox News.

“As we can all relate to, everyone ends up having to bring home their work from time to time. American presidents are no different,” Solomon said as he read Trump’s statement.

“President Trump, in order to prepare for work the next day, often took documents including classified documents from the Oval Office to the residence,” it continued. “He had a standing order that documents removed from the Oval Office and taken into the residence were deemed to be declassified.”

“The power to classify and declassify documents rests solely with the President of the United States,” it stressed, adding, “The idea that some paper-pushing bureaucrat, with classification authority delegated BY THE PRESIDENT, needs to approve of declassification is absurd.”

Critics respond

The Examiner noted that critics of the former president were quick to dispute that Trump’s reference to a standing declassification order would end the controversy.

Yet as Solomon’s website Just the News pointed out, the official rules surrounding how documents are to be declassified are less than clear.

For example, it noted that an executive order signed in 2009 by then-President Barack Obama “laid out the stringent process all federal officials and agencies needed to follow for declassification.”

Where’s the affidavit?

However, the order also “explicitly exempted the sitting president and vice president from having to follow those procedures.” Meanwhile, Fox News reported that on Monday the Department of Justice (DOJ) filed a motion opposing Trump’s demand that the affidavit used to justify the search warrant for his home be made public.

“If disclosed, the affidavit would serve as a roadmap to the government’s ongoing investigation, providing specific details about its direction and likely course, in a manner that is highly likely to compromise future investigative steps,” it argued.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts