Trump admin issues formal notice of withdrawal from WHO: Reports

President Donald Trump signaled repeatedly over the past few months that he was prepared to cut ties between the U.S. and the United Nations-backed World Health Organization (WHO) over its failures to adequately identify and warn the world about the novel coronavirus, and for its alleged complicity in the cover-up of China’s lies about the disease. Now, he’s following through on that threat.

The Trump administration filed formal notifications Tuesday indicating that the U.S. would be officially withdrawing from the WHO, the Washington Examiner reported.

It’s official

As NBC News reported, Trump first announced in mid-April that he had temporarily frozen U.S. funding for the WHO while a review of the organization’s coronavirus-related response was conducted. According to the Examiner, the U.S. contributes roughly $400 million to the WHO, approximately 15% of the group’s budget.

In May, the president extended the funding freeze indefinitely, the Examiner noted, adding an additional threat that the U.S. would withdraw entirely unless “substantive improvements” were immediately undertaken — improvements that the WHO has made no efforts toward since then.

Now, according to the Examiner, an unnamed senior Trump administration official has announced that both Congress and the U.N. have been formally notified that the withdrawal process has begun, and will be complete July 6, 2021.

Fox News reported that a spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres confirmed the United States’ plan for withdrawal had been formally submitted to the organization.

Bipartisan criticism

Of course, Democrats immediately decried the move. As Fox reported, Sen. Bob Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey, tweeted Tuesday:

Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the U.S. from the [WHO] in the midst of a pandemic.

To call Trump’s response to COVID chaotic & incoherent doesn’t do it justice. This won’t protect American lives or interests—it leaves Americans sick & America alone.

Presumptive Democrat White House nominee Joe Biden, who vowed in a tweet to immediately re-hitch the U.S. to the WHO’s wagon if elected president and wrote in another tweet that “Americans are safer when America is engaged in strengthening global health. On my first day as President, I will rejoin the [WHO] and restore our leadership on the world stage,” he added, according to Fox.

But it wasn’t just Dems criticizing the president’s move. Senate Health Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, said in a statement that he disagrees “with the president’s decision,” Fox noted.

“Certainly, there needs to be a good, hard look at mistakes the World Health Organization might have made in connection with coronavirus, but the time to do that is after the crisis has been dealt with, not in the middle of it,” Alexander said, according to Fox.

A mouthpiece for China?

According to The Hill, the chance remains that Trump’s move could be reversed before it takes effect, particularly given the bipartisan opposition and the year-long process that must be complete — one that could be blocked by a potential President Joe Biden. That would be unfortunate, though, considering how the WHO has, whether willfully or out of ignorance, perpetuated dishonest propaganda on the global stage from the communist Chinese regime.

The WHO does not work to further or even respect American interests, and at times it even works against them. The U.S. shouldn’t be involved in something like this any longer.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook