Critics rage after Trump announces halt to U.S. funding for WHO

President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he is halting funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) while its mismanagement of the coronavirus pandemic is reviewed. 

Unsurprisingly, Democrats and Trump critics on social media reacted as though he’d just signed a death warrant for the entire globe, TheBlaze reported.

Trump calls out WHO

During a press briefing in the White House Rose Garden on Tuesday, President Trump said, “Today I’m instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”

“American taxpayers provide between $400 million and $500 million per year to the WHO,” he continued. “In contrast, China contributes roughly $40 million a year and even less. As the organization’s leading sponsor, the United States has a duty to insist on full accountability.”

Trump ran through a litany of legitimate complaints about the WHO’s failures, such as its opposition to Trump’s early travel restrictions placed on China. “The WHO’s attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above lifesaving measures. Travel bans work for the same reason that quarantines work. Pandemics depend on human-to-human transmission. Border control is fundamental to virus control,” Trump said.

The president also noted that the WHO unquestioningly accepted the Chinese regime’s word about the new virus, failed to adequately investigate the original outbreak, failed to heed early warnings about the risks of a pandemic, and failed to pass on those warnings to the rest of the world — contributing to the loss of thousands of lives.

Watch:

DNC jumps to defend WHO

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) wasted no time in attacking the president over his decision, TheBlaze noted. “In the middle of a global pandemic, Trump wants to stop funding the preeminent organization in charge of combating global pandemics,” the DNC said in a statement. “Trump is willing to put global health further at risk to try to deflect blame from his own failures.”

“But the American people know the truth: It was Trump who ignored warnings for months while he praised China’s ‘transparency.’ It is Trump who cut CDC staff in China who could have shared information about the pandemic. It is Trump’s incompetence that continues to make this crisis worse than it had to be,” the statement added.

Trump has killed us all — again

Numerous elected Democrat officials and liberal media pundits weighed in on social media to slam the president for what they framed as an apocalyptic-level bad decision — just the latest “We’re all going to die because of Trump”-style freakout.

While the exact details of how this funding halt will be worked out are unclear, Trump’s announcement is a clear message that kowtowing to communist regimes and placing the world at risk — particularly at U.S. taxpayer expense — is unacceptable, and not even an ongoing major public health crisis can be used as a shield against accountability.

The U.S. is the largest single contributor to the WHO, paying over $890 million in combined member dues and voluntary contributions last year. Meanwhile, China gave only about $86 million — over 10 times less than the U.S, Fox News reported.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook