Trump issues executive order banning all transactions with Tik Tok in 45 days

Donald Trump has vowed to take action against the Chinese government’s blatant overreach and abuse in the last several months, and he’s following through on that promise.

Trump signed an executive order on Thursday banning American companies from initiating transactions with the Chinese parent company of the popular social media app, Tik Tok, within 45 days. 

Tik Tok ban

Trump initially threatened to ban Tik Tok outright last week over concerns that the Chinese government was using the app to spy on Americans.

However, he backed off from that threat and instead gave Microsoft 45 days to complete a proposed purchase of the popular video-sharing platform.

Breitbart reported last week that “Chinese ownership raises concerns the Chinese government has access to sensitive user data. Trump also said he did not support the idea of an American company purchasing the app, preferring to ban it outright.”

“But Microsoft appears to have softened Trump’s opposition, announcing Sunday it would continue talks to acquire the app from ByteDance, which could conclude by September 15. Reuters reported Trump agreed to give Microsoft 45 days to cut a deal,” the report continued.

Though Trump has allowed Microsoft to negotiate to purchase the app, Trump is still making moves to crack down on Chinese interference in American technology and media.

Under pressure

Trump’s executive order ratchets up the pressure on both Microsoft and Tik Tok’s parent company, ByteDance Ltd, to sign a deal within 45 days. If both companies do not come to an agreement within the specified time period, Tik Tok will be banned in the US.

Additionally, “if Microsoft or any U.S. company buys TikTok this will be carefully monitored to make sure there is absolutely no Chinese involvement in the new company,” a Wall Street executive with knowledge of the matter told Fox Business.

Tik Tok responded to the news of the impending ban by threatening to pursue legal action against the Trump administration.

‘”We are shocked by the recent executive order, which was issued without any due process,” TikTok said in a statement. “For nearly a year, we have sought to engage with the U.S. government in good faith to provide a constructive solution to the concerns that have been expressed.”

Tik Tok denied that it shares any user data with the Chinese government and said that the company will “pursue all remedies available to us in order to ensure that the rule of law is not discarded and that our company and our users are treated fairly – if not by the Administration, then by the U.S. courts.”

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook