Trump responds to NYT story about 2024 presidential intentions: ‘Fake news’

Former President Donald Trump issued a response to a story published by The New York Times on Friday that suggested he is planning to run for president in 2024.

The former president made his statement on Truth Social, saying that the report is “fake news.”

“12 wins & zero losses this week (Mary Miller won against all odds), 33 & 0 in Texas, 132 & 7 this cycle — there has never been anything like ‘our’ endorsement — and the Fake News New York Times writes that I may announce an early presidential run because I haven’t done well with my endorsements,” Trump said in response to the Times on Saturday morning.

“Actually, doing better than ever, breaking all records. We are dealing with very sick, bad people in the fake news media,” he continued. “Also, beating everybody in the polls by really big, record type, numbers!” Trump added in another post.

Trump’s statement came after a story in the Times late on Friday which said, “The timing of a formal announcement from Mr. Trump remains uncertain. But he recently surprised some advisers by saying he might declare his candidacy on social media without warning even his own team, and aides are scrambling to build out basic campaign infrastructure in time for an announcement as early as this month.”

According to the story, some Republicans are worried that if something is revealed prior to the midterm elections, the Democrats may use it as a campaign issue.

“Republicans want to win badly in 2022, and it is dawning on many of them that relitigating the 2020 election with Trump’s daily conspiracy diatribes are sure losers,” Republican strategist and former chairman of the Colorado Republican Party, Dick Wadhams, said.

An announcement this soon before the next presidential election potentially raises extra issues for allied Republican candidates: “One of the most compelling arguments against an early announcement had been federal campaign finance laws. If and when Mr. Trump announces, he would be ineligible to use any of the $100 million that he has parked in his political action committee to directly support his presidential run,” the Times reported.

“His campaign would also be constrained by a strict $2,900-per-person donation cap for the primaries, meaning he could tap his largest donors only once over the next period of roughly two years to directly fund a candidacy,” the publication went on.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) is said to be one of the GOP members using Trump to make his announcement sooner rather than later: “It’s up to him if he runs or not,” Graham said. “But the key to him being successful is comparing his policy agenda and policy successes with what is going on today.”

In June, NBC News speculated that Trump might make a statement over the Fourth of July weekend. While some think he should postpone his announcement until after the midterm elections, others assert that he is doing so in order to block other potential candidates who are building momentum.

“I’ve laid out my case on why I think he should do it,” his longtime adviser Jason Miller, said as he accompanied the former president to a rally in Wyoming over Memorial Day weekend. “I think that there being clarity about what his intentions are [is important] so he can start building that operation while it’s still fresh in people’s minds and they’re still active — a lot of that can be converted into 2024 action.”

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts