Though Democrats and the media continue their denial, it has become increasingly obvious that the Big Tech firms and social media platforms are inherently biased against conservatives and anyone else who openly dissents from the left’s preferred narratives.
A recent example can be seen in the fact that Twitter took down a viral video of doctors discussing anti-viral drug hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19 and also temporarily limited Donald Trump Jr’s account on the platform after he shared the footage on Tuesday, CNBC reported.
Twitter limits Trump Jr.
In the video that sparked the latest installment of Orwellian online censorship, a group of doctors gathered outside in Washington, D.C. to discuss the success they have seen in treating patients sickened by the new coronavirus with a mixture of drugs that included hydroxychloroquine.
The president’s eldest son, Trump Jr., was one of the millions who watched the video and among tens of thousands who shared it prior to the deliberate and still-ongoing effort on the part of Twitter to purge the footage from its platform.
As a result of his sharing the video, Twitter imposed a 12-hour limitation on Trump Jr.’s access to his account, a company spokesperson told CNBC, saying that Trump Jr. allegedly violated the platform’s policy against “spreading misleading and potentially harmful information related to Covid-19.”
CNBC noted that the 12-hour limited access allowed Trump Jr. to continue to browse and scroll through the app but prevented him from tweeting, retweeting, commenting on or liking any posts, or following anybody new.
Uneven playing field
Trump Jr. spokesman Andy Surabian told CNBC that what Twitter did was further evidence of the platform’s bias and continued attempts to silence conservatives and other voices of dissent.
“Twitter suspending Don Jr. for sharing a viral video of medical professionals discussing their views on Hydroxychloroquine is further proof that Big Tech is intent on killing free expression online and is another instance of them committing election interference to stifle Republican voices,” Surabian said.
In the meantime, while Trump Jr. languished in Twitter purgatory, others took up the cause of calling out the company for its unfairness, including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), who pointed out that according to the same logic used to limit Trump Jr., CNN’s account should also be subjected to suspension for previously sharing news that didn’t align with the “hydroxychloroquine is terrible” narrative that is so obviously being promoted by the platform.
Upon returning to full account access, Trump Jr. shared a tweet noting what Sen. Cruz said and wrote, “I mean it’s only fair, right? Oh that’s right they don’t care about fair, they only boost and push for one side and create as unequal a playing field as absolutely possible.”
President pledges action
President Donald Trump, while not specifically mentioning the action Twitter took against his son, nevertheless seemed to address the situation by suggesting that he would take action if Congress continued to sit on its hands regarding the blatantly partisan social media censorship.
“If Congress doesn’t bring fairness to Big Tech, which they should have done years ago, I will do it myself with Executive Orders. In Washington, it has been ALL TALK and NO ACTION for years, and the people of our Country are sick and tired of it!” Trump tweeted, and it’s certainly difficult to disagree.