Columnist Michelle Malkin announced Tuesday that she had become the latest conservative to be banned from Twitter for a brief period of time over alleged violations of the platform’s rules.
According to the Washington Examiner, Malkin and the conservative Right Side Broadcasting Network (RSBN) were both slapped with 12-hour suspensions for what they say were “unexplained reasons.”
“Twitter doesn’t want me expressing my opinions 24 hours before [the] inauguration,” Malkin wrote in a Telegram post, according to the Examiner.
“No reason given, but of course we know the reason,” she added. “If you’re on Twitter, spread the word.”
Malkin gets the boot
The author and commentator later confirmed that her account had been suspended. The Examiner said she had been recently tweeting about “[Joe] Biden’s inauguration, limits on speech and guns, and immigration,” as well as censorship of conservative voices by Big Tech companies like Twitter.
In a screenshot shared by Malkin, Twitter said it had “determined that [Malkin] violated the Twitter Rules, so we’ve temporarily limited some of [her] account features.”
Of course, she wasn’t the only one.
Also hit with a suspension Tuesday for no clear reason was RSBN, a conservative media outlet known for always live streaming then-President Donald Trump’s events, whether press briefings, speeches, rallies, or otherwise.
According to the Examiner, Joe Seales, the CEO of RSBN, tweeted from his own personal account: “They suspended @RSBNetwork Twitter account for 12 hours with no explanation.”
Twitter breaks out the ax
Sadly, these two accounts are far from the first to face the wrath of Twitter and CEO Jack Dorsey. After an attack on the Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters earlier this month, the social media platform permanently suspended the then-president’s account, as the Daily Caller reported, and top conservatives said they saw their follower counts plummet in the days that followed.
Amid criticism, Twitter told the Daily Caller News Foundation at the time that it had been banning accounts “in line with our policy on Coordinated Harmful Activity.”
“We’ve been clear that we will take strong enforcement action on behavior that has the potential to lead to offline harm, and given the renewed potential for violence surrounding this type of behavior in the coming days, we will permanently suspend accounts that are solely dedicated to sharing QAnon content,” the statement added, according to the Daily Caller.