A video of doctors showing support for the use of hydroxychloroquine that went viral with over 14 million views was removed Monday from Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, who said it contained false information and violated the platforms’ respective terms of service.
The video depicted a press conference on the steps of the Supreme Court by a group of doctors called “America’s Frontline Doctors,” in which they said that hydroxychloroquine with azithromyacin and zinc is the “cure” for COVID-19 and that they have successfully treated hundreds of patients each with those readily available medicines.
The parts of the video that probably bothered the social media powers-that-be are that the doctors said “you don’t need masks” since there is a cure for the virus and suggested that members of Congress were secretly taking the drugs as a prophylactic while saying to the public that they don’t work.
The video painted a picture of government figures attempting to keep people from using the drug cocktail even though it would save their lives in at least some cases where the disease turns serious.
Yale epidemiologist touts hydroxychloroquine as life-saving drug
Yale epidemiologist Harvey Risch wrote an op-ed in Newsweek last week repeating many of the same points in the banned video. He said that if everyone was given hydroxychloroquine in the early stages of their coronavirus infection, tens of thousands of deaths in America could have been prevented.
Risch pointed to seven different studies that showed the drug to be effective, in contrast to a few others that didn’t show any benefit. It was not clear whether the drugs were given early in the infection, in the studies that didn’t show a benefit.
In addition, he referenced an eightfold drop in deaths after hydroxychloroquine began to be used in Brazil and a fourfold jump in deaths after it was banned in Switzerland.
Risch noted that the drug’s use had been “politicized” and that patients were suffering as a result.
Trump Jr.’s Twitter account suspended for sharing video
Twitter suspended Donald Trump Jr.’s Twitter access for 12 hours because he shared the video, which prompted his spokesperson Andy Surabian to call the action “further proof that Big Tech is intent on killing free expression online and is another instance of them committing election interference to stifle Republican voices,” according to The Hill.
President Donald Trump also retweeted parts of the video.
While I can understand how the video fit into the social media platforms’ new “misinformation” policy about COVID-19, it seems that it wasn’t the hydroxychloroquine part of the video that was objected to.
Liberals in the media just can’t conceive of a world where people could get rid of their masks and get back to normal life before the election, because that means Joe Biden will have to come out of the basement and run a real campaign against Trump as he does the same.
That won’t be pretty, and Democrats will do anything to stop it: even, it seems, let more Americans die.