Writer for Tucker Carlson resigns after offensive comments surface

A top writer for Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s show, “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” resigned from the network after offensive remarks posted anonymously on an online forum were attributed to him by CNN, the Washington Examiner reported.

Neff’s sudden resignation was confirmed to the Examiner by a Fox News spokesperson on Friday.

Carlson’s writer exposed

The exposé came by way of a lengthy report from CNN Business that was intended to link Neff’s anonymous online comments to Carlson, whose success as a top-rated conservative commentator for Fox News has long made him a target of the left.

Neff reportedly went by the pseudonym of CharlesXII on the form, and, for several years, had written comments containing offensive slurs and stereotypes to mock others on AutoAdmit, an online forum, CNN reported.

CNN essentially forced Neff’s resignation by sending an email seeking comment to him about his posts that ended up being forwarded to Fox News itself. Neither Neff nor Carlson responded to the requests for comment, and Fox informed CNN that Neff had resigned.

CNN, which printed multiple examples of the offensive comments, detailed how his identity was discovered through an examination of the posts written by CharlesXII in comparison with publicly available information about Neff.

Carlson is the real target

CNN went to great lengths to point out similarities between certain comments made or liked by CharlesXII on the forum with phrases or remarks that later appeared on Carlson’s show — further evidence that the entire exposé was aimed at damaging Carlson, even though none of those examples were offensive in and of themselves.

The article also cited a recent interview with Neff for the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine in which Neff had boasted, “Anything [Carlson is] reading off the teleprompter, the first draft was written by me.”

It must be noted that that interview, as well as any reference to Neff, appears to have been scrubbed from the magazine’s website now.

Fox News responds

Fox News quickly condemned the offensive posts and said they were not previously aware of Neff’s comments.

“We want to make abundantly clear that Fox News Media strongly condemns this horrific racist, misogynistic and homophobic behavior,” Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott and President Jay Wallace said Saturday.

“Neff’s abhorrent conduct on this forum was never divulged to the show or the network until Friday, at which point we swiftly accepted his resignation,” they wrote. “Make no mistake, actions such as his cannot and will not be tolerated at any time in any part of our work force.”

According to Fox News, Carlson will be addressing the developments during his show on Monday night.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook