Ex-cop, young daughters dead after days-long violent crime spree, police say

A days-long crime spree by a former police officer and his accomplice resulted in a tragic murder-suicide that claimed the lives of both men and two young girls, according to authorities.

As People reported on Friday, 41-year-old Robert Vicosa, an ex-cop in Maryland, allegedly kidnapped his two daughters from their mother days earlier.

The girls were with Vicosa and his friend as they engaged in a string of criminal activities that ended with a car crash and gunshots within the wrecked vehicle that left all four individuals dead.

Young girls kidnapped

According to Baltimore County authorities, a manhunt was underway on Thursday for Vicosa and his accomplice, Tia Bynum, who were suspects in a kidnapping and robbery.

That announcement advised that both suspects had prior law enforcement training and were believed to be armed with handguns and rifles.

Police further indicated that Vicosa’s daughters — ages 6 and 7 — were present during the alleged crimes.

WGAL subsequently reported that Vicosa, Bynum, and one of the girls were all pronounced dead at the scene. The other girl was transported to a nearby hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Ex-cops accused

Vicosa had reportedly been an employee with the Baltimore County Police Department for 17 years prior to his termination in August. Records indicate a number of violations led to his demotion and ultimately resulted in him being fired from the force.

Bynum also worked for the same department for about 14 years and the two men developed a close friendship. Local news reports state that their crime spree is believed to have begun on Sunday with the kidnapping in York, Pennsylvania.

Two days later, Vicosa and Bynum allegedly stole a woman’s car and phone at gunpoint. They are accused of committing another armed carjacking the following day, which triggered the widespread manhunt.

The pair alleged commandeered another vehicle and forced its driver to transport them to other locations in the area — all with Vicosa’s daughters alongside them.

Tragically, the series of events came to a deadly end on Thursday afternoon when the stolen vehicle was identified by police. A pursuit ensued that led to the crash, which authorities say in turn prompted the horrific murder-suicide as officers approached the vehicle.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts