Military locks down top hospital

A major American military facility was locked down this week after someone claimed to have a planted explosives there.

According to Fox News, the move came on Wednesday when officials at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland received word that an unknown individual made a bomb threat.

“At approximately 8:45 a.m., the installation received a phone call from an anonymous source stating there is a bomb at or near Building 10,” a tweet from Naval Support Activity Bethesda read. It added, “Security personnel have responded to the scene.”

Tweet warned Walter Reed personnel to shelter in place

A subsequent tweet warned that the area had been put into lockdown, stating, “All personnel should shelter in place. All gates are closed to non-emergency traffic. The public is asked to avoid the area.”

Two hours later, Walter Reed Bethesda put out a tweet explaining the lockdown have been lifted and the installation would be “now resuming normal operations.”

The bomb scare incident at Walter Reed is the latest in a series of threats this year that have targeted high profile national landmarks.

Fox News reported in August that a man parked a pickup truck that he said contained explosives directly across from Washington, D.C.’s Library of Congress.

“The driver of the truck told the responding officer on the scene that he had a bomb,” United States Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger was quoted as saying at a press conference.

“And what appeared, the officer said, appeared to be a detonator in the man’s hand,” Manger continued, adding, “We immediately evacuated the nearby buildings.”

Nation of Islam supporter attacked the Capitol this spring

Meanwhile in April, a man drove his car into a check point in the fencing that surrounded Capitol Hill. The attack left one Capitol Police officer dead and another wounded.

Police then killed the driver, who Fox News identified as a 25-year-old former college football player from Indiana named Noah Green.

Green described himself on Facebook as a supporter of the Nation of Islam and claimed to have donated money to the group. The officer he murdered was revealed to be 18-year veteran William “Billy” Evans.


Share on facebook
Share To Facebook

Welcome to our comments section. We want to hear from you!

Any comments with profanity, advocacy of violence, harassment, personally identifiable information or other violations will be removed. If you feel your comment has been removed in error please contact us!

Latest Posts