Border Patrol Chief Mike Banks steps down in latest departure from Trump immigration leadership
U.S. Border Patrol Chief Mike Banks resigned effective immediately on Thursday, telling agents in a farewell message that he was retiring to return to Texas and focus on his family and ranch. His departure marks the latest in a string of senior exits from the Department of Homeland Security as the Trump administration reshuffles the leadership of its immigration enforcement apparatus.
Three DHS sources confirmed the resignation to CBS News. Banks, who was tapped to lead Border Patrol in January 2025 when President Trump returned to the White House, framed the move as a personal decision after decades in federal service.
The timing, however, places his exit alongside a broader wave of turnover that has swept through the agencies responsible for carrying out the administration's border security and deportation agenda. The acting head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Todd Lyons, is set to step down at the end of May. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem was replaced in March by former Oklahoma Republican Sen. Markwayne Mullin. And Gregory Bovino, the outspoken Border Patrol commander whose teams carried out immigration operations in cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, and Minneapolis, retired in March after being sidelined following controversy surrounding the Minneapolis crackdown.
That is a lot of empty chairs in a short window.
Banks says mission accomplished
Banks cast his resignation as a capstone, not a retreat. In his farewell message to Border Patrol staff, he praised the workforce for what he described as a historic transformation:
"You, the men and women of the Border Patrol, took the United States Border from the most chaotic and unsecured border in the history of this great Nation and have delivered the most secure border this country has ever seen."
He added: "What we have accomplished together in the last year and a half is nothing short of amazing."
In an interview with Fox News correspondent Bill Melugin, Banks elaborated on his reasoning. Fox News reported that Banks described the border as having gone from a "disastrous, chaotic" situation to "the most secure border this country has ever seen." He told Melugin simply: "It's just time."
Banks said he felt he had "got the ship back on course." He also told Fox News he had returned to lead the agency under the second Trump administration after previously retiring and working for the state of Texas under Gov. Greg Abbott, where he served as Abbott's border czar.
In his farewell message, Banks noted he had served in the U.S. Navy for a decade before his law enforcement career, which included mid-level roles at Border Patrol before his appointment as chief. He told agents it was "time for me to retire and return home to Texas to focus on my family and ranch."
CBP commissioner praises Banks on the way out
Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Rodney Scott issued a statement congratulating Banks on what Scott called his "second retirement":
"We thank U.S. Border Patrol Chief Michael Banks for his decades of service to this country and congratulate him on his second retirement after returning to serve during one of the most challenging periods for border security. During his time as Chief, the border was transformed from chaos to the most secure border ever recorded."
Scott added: "We wish him and his family well."
The warm send-off from Scott suggests Banks left on good terms with the administration's current DHS leadership. But the sheer volume of departures across immigration agencies raises a practical question: who is running the show?
A pattern of departures across DHS
Banks is not an isolated case. As the New York Post reported, his exit comes amid broader turnover and turmoil at DHS following Kristi Noem's departure, including other leadership resignations and scrutiny surrounding the department. The Post described the situation as DHS "cleaning house."
The pattern is worth laying out. Noem left the top DHS post in March. Mullin, a former senator, stepped in. Bovino, who had led high-profile enforcement operations in major American cities, was sidelined after the Minneapolis controversy, which involved fatal shootings of two U.S. citizens by federal agents, and then retired. Lyons, the acting ICE director, will leave by month's end and be replaced on an interim basis by a longtime agency official.
Now Banks, the man in charge of the green-uniformed agents who intercept the illicit movement of people and drugs along the U.S.-Mexico border, walks out the door. No successor has been publicly named.
The administration has invested enormous political capital in its border enforcement agenda. Senate Republicans have been advancing a $70 billion budget plan to fund ICE and Border Patrol through the end of Trump's term, a signal of how seriously the GOP takes the mission these agencies carry out.
AP News reported that Banks stepped down effective immediately and that DHS confirmed the resignation. The AP described the departure as part of a wider leadership shake-up among officials carrying out President Trump's immigration crackdown and noted it comes as the administration appears to be recalibrating its mass-deportation strategy.
Banks told the AP: "Time to enjoy the family and life."
What it means for the border mission
There is no reason to doubt Banks's stated motives. A man who served a decade in the Navy, spent years in Border Patrol, came out of retirement to serve as Texas's border czar, and then returned to federal service at the top of the agency has earned the right to go home.
But leadership continuity matters. The border enforcement mission does not pause while Washington fills vacancies. Agents in the field, the ones Banks praised in his farewell, still face the daily reality of smuggling networks, fentanyl trafficking, and illegal crossings. They need clear chains of command and steady leadership, not a revolving door at the top.
The congressional fights over DHS funding have only made that harder. Earlier this year, Congress passed a DHS funding bill after a record 76-day shutdown that left ICE and Border Patrol with nothing, a result that undercut the very agencies now losing their leaders.
Newsmax confirmed Banks's resignation and noted he is the latest top immigration official to leave the Trump administration in recent months. The outlet reported that Banks told agents it was "time for me to retire and return home to Texas to focus on my family and ranch."
The broader political environment around immigration enforcement remains intense. President Trump has pressured Senate Republicans to move aggressively on legislation like the Save America Act, and the administration's enforcement posture, from interior operations in major cities to the southern border itself, has been a defining policy priority.
That makes the leadership churn all the more consequential. When the people executing the mission keep leaving, the mission itself becomes harder to sustain, regardless of how secure the border may be at any given moment.
Open questions
Several things remain unclear. Who will replace Banks as Border Patrol chief? What is the effective date of his departure, is it truly immediate, or will there be a transition period? And is Banks retiring from federal service entirely, or simply stepping away from the chief's post?
The administration has not publicly answered those questions. The longer they go unanswered, the more the personnel vacuum matters.
Banks's record speaks for itself. He came in when the border was in crisis, and by his own account, and Scott's, he leaves it in a far stronger position. The men and women who serve under him deserve a successor who can keep that trajectory going.
Securing the border was never supposed to be a one-man job. But someone has to be in charge, and right now, the chair is empty.

