The Supreme Court was set to hear oral arguments this week on Title 42, a Trump-era COVID policy that allowed illegal migrants to be swiftly deported.
Yet while a group of red states prepared to make their case for why the policy needs to remain in place, Fox News reported that the Supreme Court has announced they won’t get the chance.
Biden admin argues issue is “moot”
According to Fox News, the nation’s highest judicial body moved last Thursday to cancel its scheduled hearing regarding Title 42.
The network noted that although no reason was given for the decision, the Biden administration has claimed the issue is dead since the federal government’s COVID emergency declaration will expire in May.
Fox News quoted a Department of Justice filing as stating that “the anticipated end of the public health emergency on May 11, and the resulting expiration of the operative Title 42 order, would render this case moot.”
Even some Democrats have expressed support for keeping Title 42. In December, West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin told CBS News, “We have a crisis of the border. Everyone can see that.”
DHS promotes a six-point plan
“I think everyone realizes that something has to be done. It needs to be extended until we can get really, truly immigration reform,” he added.
“Immigration reform will not happen in our country until we all come on both sides of the aisle,” Manchin insisted.
Meanwhile, Fox News pointed out that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has laid out a six-point plan aimed at addressing the unprecedented wave of illegal migration which is taking place along America’s southern border.
This is said to include deploying more resources along the border, increased cooperation with Mexico, and stepping up the use of removal authority under Title 8.
The Washington Post reported that the Biden administration is working on a deal which would permit “large-scale deportations” of non-Mexicans back into Mexico.
However, DHS Assistant Secretary of Public Affairs dismissed that suggestion in a tweet on Feb. 9.
Reports that we are considering mass deportations of non-Mexicans to Mexico are false. We’re continuing to work closely with govt of Mexico to implement our successful border enforcement plan which has already resulted in lowest encounter numbers between ports of entry in 2yrs. https://t.co/EEqNQrQ70s
— Marsha (Catron) Espinosa (@MCatronDHS) February 9, 2023
Fox News noted earlier this month that while the Biden administration is touting its new strategy, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) saw over 156,000 migrant encounters in January, up from the 78,414 migrants encountered in January of 2021.