Trump revoked the Biden-authorized extension of Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris
Under federal law, a former vice president is entitled to six months of additional U.S. Secret Service protection after leaving office, as a precautionary measure to guard against possible lingering threats related to their prior service.
Yet, sources indicated that former Vice President Kamala Harris was continuing to receive Secret Service protection past the six-month allowance -- that is, until it was just revoked this week by President Donald Trump, according to NBC News.
As it turns out, former President Joe Biden had secretly signed a memo shortly before leaving office to authorize an extension of Harris' protective detail for another year in addition to the standard six months allowed by law.
Extended protection for Harris ends on September 1
CNN was the first to report on Friday that President Trump, in a memo dated Thursday to the Homeland Security Secretary, ordered the cancellation of the additional Secret Service protection for former Vice President Harris that his predecessor had quietly authorized.
The brief memo, a copy of which was obtained by the outlet, stated in full, "You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris."
That order means that Harris will lose her 24/7 Secret Service protective detail -- which ranges from one dozen to a few dozen agents, depending upon circumstances -- as well as access to the agency's analysis of threat intelligence and warnings.
Cancellation of "not typical" extension confirmed
The revocation was confirmed by NBC News, which reported that an adviser to former VP Harris said, "The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety."
It was further confirmed by an unnamed senior White House official, who noted that Congress had authorized only six months of additional Secret Service protection for former vice presidents and their families, and that while some extensions had been granted in the past, the extra year of protection authorized by former President Biden for Harris was "not typical."
Indeed, former Vice Presidents Mike Pence and Biden received the standard six months of additional protection, while former VP Dick Cheney was granted an unspecified extension by former President Barack Obama because of heightened threats against him, and former VPs Dan Quayle and Al Gore were granted an extra six months of protection following their service.
California officials infuriated by Trump's revocation of Harris' extra protection
The CNN report noted that California Gov. Gavin Newsom's office declined to comment on what additional security the state might provide for Harris, a resident of Los Angeles, in the absence of the now-revoked Secret Service protective detail, though an enraged spokesperson told the media, "The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses."
Likewise, L.A. Mayor Karen Bass claimed that President Trump's move "puts the former Vice President in danger," and said that she would work with the governor to figure out a way to keep Harris safe from potential harm.
The openly anti-Trump mayor further asserted of the president, "This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances, and more."
California Highway Patrol will protect Harris
According to the Los Angeles Times, however, it didn't take long for Gov. Newsom and Mayor Bass to authorize the California Highway Patrol to provide "dignitary" protection for Harris, who has largely lain low since her defeat in November's presidential election but is about to embark on a 15-city tour to promote her new memoir.
The outlet further noted that Harris was not alone in having her extended Secret Service protection revoked by President Trump, who also cancelled the additional protection that had been extended to former President Biden's adult children, Hunter and Ashley, as well as Trump's own former National Security Advisor John Bolton and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who'd been threatened by Iran.