A case involving a $1.6 billion lawsuit against Fox Corporation from Dominion Voting Systems was put on hold as the two groups reportedly consider an out-of-court settlement.
The trial scheduled for this week was postponed by the judge following the news that would otherwise leave the decision in the hands of a New York court.
Fox News, Tucker Carlson & the $1.6bn trial over ‘rigged election’ misinformation https://t.co/lKdpI9O6XX
The most high-profile defamation trial in US history is to begin this week: Dominion Voting Systems, election technology firm vs Fox Corporation & its TV network for $1.6bn.
— CPM Obiajunwa (@CpmObia) April 17, 2023
"There has already been plenty of drama and gossip in pre-trial motions. Rupert Murdoch, the CEO of Fox Corp, admitted he 'would have liked us to be stronger in denouncing it, in hindsight,'" according to The Guardian.
"And most staggeringly, in February and March, a cache of private emails and texts became public that seemed to reveal the true thoughts of those working at the rightwing news network at the time that the election lie was being aired," it added.
Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6 billion defamation case against Fox News over the network repeatedly airing bogus conspiracies related to the 2020 presidential election is heading to trial. https://t.co/6ozM1hDfor
— The Associated Press (@AP) April 18, 2023
After the one-day delay, the case is now set to begin on Tuesday after the two groups did not come to an agreement.
"Fox News stars such as Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, as well as company founder Rupert Murdoch, are expected to testify during the six-week trial, but it’s unclear whether any witnesses would be called Tuesday," the Associated Press reported Tuesday.
"Dominion claims New York-based Fox News and its parent company, Fox Corp., essentially bulldozed the voting company’s business and subjected employees to threats by falsely implicating it in a bogus conspiracy to rig the election against Trump," it added.
EXCLUSIVE: Fired Fox News producer says she found more evidence relevant to Dominion case https://t.co/IHXSWOSk9C by @janestreet
— Timothy R. Homan (@timothyrhoman) April 18, 2023
In the latest development, former Fox News producer Abby Grossberg said she found more evidence relevant to the case involving an additional cell phone she had that was not searched earlier in the investigation.
Grossberg’s attorney, Gerry Filippatos, said her statement would be filed with the Delaware court as early as Tuesday, according to NBC News.
“Abby Grossberg stands ready to do her part to ensure that justice is done; that those who are licensed and obligated to tell the truth, and guide others to the truth, do just that. As soon as possible and practicable, Ms. Grossberg will continue to set the record straight by telling all she knows to those who need to know,” Filippatos said in a statement.
The high-profile case is certain to capture the attention of the media and the nation.
The case against the nation's most-watched cable news channel could have a massive impact on how future elections are covered.